My photo
RIYKA is a womenswear label, designed and made in the UK, run by husband and wife, Vedran and Rebecca, this is how its made!

Join my facebook page

Tuesday 4 January 2011

Fela's Queens












r“In the West Fela Kuti, the creator of Afrobeat, is know by many as “the man who married 27 wives”. On 18 February 1978 he married the entire female entourage of his band in a ceremony conducted by a Yoruba priest. There are many sides to the group marriage, besides the sensational ones, but it would need an essay to explain them. The group marriage lasted until Fela’s release from prison in 1985. Stating that he no longer believed in marriage, he divorced the 12 wives that were still with him. Many, however, remained part of his entourage until his death…”

I have wanted to write about Fela Kuti for ages, but since I am in my Africana mood at the moment, I thought it would fit right in my recent train of thought.

Besides his amazing music, he was a massive personality, performer and political activist.

His women stunningly beautiful.

Each one so vibrantly decorated. Truly inspiring.

1 comment: